Friday, August 23, 2019

Scout Vespers

Image result for campfire
If you've been in scouting long enough you should know the Scout Vespers song.  Especially if you spent any amount of time at a summer camp.  It is typically always sung at the end of the campfire, if not on the opening campfire then most assuredly on the closing campfire.

The lyrics are these to the tune of "Oh Christmas Tree":

Softly falls the light of day,
While our campfire fades away.
Silently each Scout should ask
Have I done my daily task?
Have I kept my honor bright?
Can I guiltless sleep tonight?
Have I done and have I dared
Everything to be prepared?

Most people may not know there are several other versus to the song as we only sing the first repeatedly and then hum in between them until everyone as left the campfire area to return to the campsites.  Here are the rest of the verses:

Listen Lord, oh listen Lord,
As I whisper soft and low.  
Bless my mom and Bless my dad, 
These are things that they should know.
I will keep my honor Bright,
The oath and law will be my guide.
And mom and dad this you should know,
Deep in my heart I love you so.

Second Version:
Quietly we join as one,
Thanking God for Scouting fun
May we now go on our way,
Thankful for another day.
May we always love and share,
Living in peace beyond compare.
As Scout may we find,
Friendships true with all mankind.

Quietly we now will part,
Pledging ever in our heart,
To strive to do our best each day,
As we travel down life's way.
Happiness we'll try to give,
Trying a better life to live,
'Till all the world be joined in love,
Living in peace under skies above.

Recently on a camping trip we had arrived on a Friday evening.  It was still light.  That was the plan so that each patrol would have time to setup their campsites and prepare their meals rather than last year when we arrived in the dark and used vehicle lights to get our tents up and then wait until morning to make adjustments.  This park has been one of my favorites because of the variety of activities it offers and I think it is becoming a favorite of the scouts as well.  Most to of the time around 10 or 10:30 p.m. the boys are slowly wandering from the campfire they had made in search of a soft place to lay their heads for the night while myself and just a couple of others keep vigil over the remaining embers of the fire.  However, this time, the boys were still going full force..they typically call me more teenager than them because of my ability to stay up later at night but this time, I was the one wanting to sleep

It is now 11:00 p.m., traditionally quiet time, I send them all to their tents/hammocks and tell them I don't mind if they continue their conversations as long as it doesn't disturb others and if they distrub my sleep, I most certainly would distrub their sleep.  Perhaps with ice cold water at 4 a.m.!  Fast forward, it is now 11:30 p.m. and I am laying in my bed still hearing the boys carry on, loudly.  Again, typically, they are all wore out and pretty well asleep by this time but then I realize that today, there was no school.  So, they had excess energy to expel.  it was at this time that I got up and told them all it was time to sleep.


Then, what do my ears hear?  One boy began singing scout vespers.  Unprompted and then another scout joined and another.  Soon almost the whole campsite was singing from their tents.  It was almost like an episode of the Walton's in which each family members was saying "good night" from their bedroom.  It was at that moment that my heart became full of joy and pride in those boys (of course, I am always proud of them) and I sang with them.  All while reminiscing of days past when I worked on staff at scout camp singing this song twice a week.  It has always been my favorite.

At the end of the most recent troop meeting the boys suggested to the Senior Patrol Leader that we should sing the Scout Vespers song from now on as part of our closing.  He agreed and so they did.  I almost shed a tear.  It is so beautiful and fitting to end our meeting, or our evening with a song that holds such nostalgia to it.  I think even Baden-Powell would be proud.  So, as our campfire fades may we all be reminded to always be prepared and do our daily task so that we may guilt-less sleep every night.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beginning of the End

Yesterday I woke up to the news that the National Scouting Council had filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy also known as restructuring.  Ther...