Sunday, September 8, 2019

Scoutmaster Minutes Are Not Just For the Scouts


Image result for be the coffee bean



Many times prior to a Scout Meeting I am searching for some relevant and meaningful message to relay to the Scouts during that special time dedicated as a Scoutmaster Minute. Sometimes I wonder if it will be good enough. Sometimes I wonder if they will take to heart the meaning.

For some Scoutmaster Minutes I get a little inspiration from the Scouts themselves either by an action, a word, or even a suggestion. It can be hard to create something inspirational EVERY week but there are many hours, and many days of opportunities in between.

Recently during a Troop meeting one of the older Scouts, now an Adult and Assistant Scoutmaster who received his Eagle last year reminded not only myself but also the Troop of a theme in a series of Scoutmaster Minutes over the summer. The theme was having a Positive Mental Attitude. Also, this same Scout completed a survey for my book project in which the question was asked what his favorite Scoutmaster Minute was. His response was about how we should be the coffee to change the water. 

The title of the Minute is called "The Eggs, Carrots, and Coffee" which is basically about when life is tough how do we react. Are we the carrots which are hard and strong during good times then become soft and weak when placed in boiling water, or the eggs with a hard outer shell but weak and fragile on the inside then become hard on the inside even though we may appear the same on the outside when placed in the boiling water of life. Or, possibly are we the coffee which actually changes the water to become something better and unique?

I have been meditating on these very moments of inspiration that I offered to others during a time of stress for me and how instead of me inspiring them, these Scouts have in turn inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beginning of the End

Yesterday I woke up to the news that the National Scouting Council had filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy also known as restructuring.  Ther...