Sunday, September 8, 2019

When the Best Leaders Work is Done...

Image result for i'm proud of you
In Ken Blanchard's book, "The One Minute Manager" there is quote that goes something like this, 'When the Best Leader's Work is Done the People Say We Did it ourselves."

I have known this quote for a long time and have been a constant student of leadership since my time serving in a leadership role at Chick-fil-A in my first career.  However, it really wasn't until recently I realized the fulfillment of this quote.  In my position as Scoutmaster I have dedicated my time to developing young men into good citizens and also great leaders.  Using the leadership skills that I had learned and had been taught throughout my career and then sharing those with young men in the leadership of the Troop.

During a time that had prevented me from being present at the Scout meetings and also by my absence and the absence of others changed the entire planned program for the month I found that the boys of their own cognizance called a PLC (Patrol Leader's Council) meeting to develop an alternative meeting plan for the upcoming weeks.  Complete with games/challenges and activities, what would be taught or worked on and then to have an after meeting PLC to discuss the following week.  I saw evidence of their planning session up on the white board which even included the times for when each activity would transition to the next one.

Wow!  I thought to myself.  We have been conducting PLC's for a while now and yes, they usually do lead them with an adult such as myself interjecting with a question or two but oh my, they did this completely on their own without prompting from an adult and created an action plan.  I could not be more proud of them!  It was in that moment that I realized the fulfillment of that quote, "When the best leader's work is done, the people say we did it ourselves!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beginning of the End

Yesterday I woke up to the news that the National Scouting Council had filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy also known as restructuring.  Ther...